Sunday, June 9, 2013

How Do You Escape?  by Lane McFarland
Summer in the North Georgia Mountains has arrived in full force as temperatures creep above 90 degrees. My outside haven awaits, ready for my fingers to dig into the lush red clay.
Stooped over, sweat trickling down my face, I diligently pluck the ever present ungainly weeds crowding my vegetable and flower gardens. If only my little plants would grow so well!
Surrounded by white Candytuft and Blue Star Creeper, Black & Blue Salvia’s tentacles thrust tubular iridescent blue flowers into the warm breeze. Ruby Spider mixed with golden yellow lilies and fuchsia-colored Phlox bloom abundantly nestled between deep purple Butterfly Bushes.



Strawberries hang in abundance, the red fruit sweetening in the warm sunshine while little green tomatoes sprout on vines weaving through support cages.
Not only are my flowers budding, but wildlife is fully awake. Delicate Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Indigo Buntings, and Eastern Bluebirds are among my frequent garden visitors. Woodpeckers, Northern Cardinals and Yellow Finches fill my bird feeder stations.
That was until a much larger visitor stopped by...
Finding a free meal was well worth the trip up the mountainside for this black bear. He gave thanks for his good fortune; however my feeders will never be the same.
Along with living vicariously through my books’ beloved characters in days gone by, cultivating tender plants provides a much needed escape from the pressures of my job and life in general.
How do you escape the pressures of everyday life? Do you have a special place to retreat, regroup and recharge?

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Sorry about your bird feeders. I walk on the beach or in the water, paddle board or read. I tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Ella! Yep, I love watching the wildlife, but having my feeders destroyed is a different story! LOL!!!

      I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico and love an early morning or late afternoon stroll down the beach. A wonderful escape...

      Thank you for stopping by, Ella!
      Lane

      Delete
  2. If you feel sort of a green soggy tide around your feet, it's envy coming your way from Michigan. Today we reached the heady heights of 77 (it was 64 yesterday)and I think the only good thing about that it makes it easier to plan what to pack for England, since the temps there seem to be lurking in the 50s and 60s.

    I envy everything about your garden except the bear. Cute he may be, but keep him down your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Beppie! I thought I replied to your message, but when I checked back, it wasn't here. So sorry!

      I wish I could send you some of this hot Georgia weather! But talk about envy...your trip to England sounds wonderful!!! Take lots of pictures. :0)

      Thank you for stopping by!
      Lane

      Delete
  3. Lane, Oh my, that bear is cute, but I wouldn't want to cross his path. I enjoying relaxing in my yard while I work in the flower beds or just sit and read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Renee! That cute bear is getting annoying. He destroyed my bird feeders and the birdhouses! Urgh!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Lane

    ReplyDelete